More about Cloud Migration
- Petabyte-Scale Storage Success Stories With Cloud Volumes ONTAP
- Azure StorSimple EOL: Using Cloud Volumes ONTAP for Hybrid Cloud Management
- Refactoring Applications to Kubernetes in Cloud Migrations
- The War Over the Cloud Has Ended (and the Winner Might Surprise You)
- Modern Data Estate: What IT Leaders Need To Know
- Strategies for AWS Migration: The New 7th R Explained
- Cloud Computing Deployment Models and Architectures
- Cloud Adoption Strategy: What’s the Best Approach for Your Organization?
- What is Cloud Migration? Strategy, Process and Tools
- Hybrid Cloud Strategy: A Winning Model for Enterprises
- Google Cloud Architecture and Building Your Own Solution Architecture
- SnapMirror in the Cloud: New Use Cases for NetApp’s Data Replication Technology
- 8 Digital Transformation Technologies and Their Business Impact
- What Is Digital Transformation in Banking?
- Digital Transformation in Healthcare: 4 Key Trends
- Digital Transformation: Examples from 5 Industries
- The Future of Cloud Computing: 5 Trends You Must Know About
- 5 Types of Digital Transformation and the Technologies that Power Them
- Digital Transformation Strategy: 6 Tips for Success
- Kubernetes Data Mobility with Cloud Volumes ONTAP
- Application Migration to Azure: 4 Approaches and One Migration Tool
- Cloud First Strategy: Challenges, Considerations, and Best Practices
- Application Migration to AWS: Free Tools to Ease Your Migration
- Why Cloud Adoption Fails and 6 Tips for Success
- Cloud Application Migration: A Practical Guide
- AWS Snowball vs Snowmobile: Data -Migration Options Compared
- AWS Snowball Edge: Data Shipping and Compute at the Edge
- AWS Snowmobile: Migrate Data to the Cloud With the World’s Biggest Hard Disk
- AWS Snowball Family: Options, Process, and Best Practices
- AWS Cloud Adoption Framework (CAF): 6 Migration Perspectives
- Top 3 Cloud Adoption Frameworks: Your Path To The Cloud
- AWS Snowball Pricing Simplified
- Azure Cloud Adoption Framework: The 9 Methodologies Explained
- Cloud Roadmap: Mapping Out Your Path To The Cloud
- Hybrid Deployment on Google Cloud: Meet Google Anthos
- 3 Ways to Create an Azure Migrate Project
- Azure Migration Step by Step: Discover, Migrate, Optimize, and Monitor
- Migrate from VMware to Azure: The Basics and a Quick Tutorial
- Migrate SQL Server to Azure: Options, Tools, and a Quick Tutorial
- Migrate Databases to Azure: 3 Quick Tutorials
- 4 Ways to Migrate SQL to Azure
- Azure Migration Program: 4 Key Elements
- Azure Migrate: Key Components and a 4-Step Migration Plan
- Cloud Journey: 6 Stages of Cloud Adoption
- 5 Azure Data Migration Tools You Should Be Using
- Azure Migration Tools: One-Click Migration for VMs and Data
- Typical Mistakes and Misconceptions Business Leaders Have About Hybrid and Multicloud
- Google Cloud PostgreSQL: Managed or Self-Managed?
- AWS Storage Gateway: Connecting Your On-Premise Storage to the Amazon Cloud
- Azure PostgreSQL: Managed or Self-Managed?
- Cloud Scalability: How Cloud Volumes ONTAP Stores Petabytes of Data
- AWS Migration: Understanding the Process and Solving 5 Key Challenges
- Google Cloud Pricing vs AWS: A Fair Comparison?
- VMware Cloud Services: A New Option for Hybrid Cloud Management
- AWS PostgreSQL: Managed or Self-Managed?
- Google Cloud MySQL: MySQL as a Service vs. Self Managed in the Cloud
- Azure MySQL: MySQL as a Service vs. Self-Managed in the Cloud
- AWS MySQL: MySQL as a Service vs. Self Managed in the Cloud
- Cloud Adoption for Financial Companies
- VMware on AWS: Architecture and Service Options
- VMware on Google Cloud: A Deployment Roadmap
- VMware on Azure: One-Step Migration to the Cloud
- Better in the Cloud: Workloads Gartner Says You Should Move to the Cloud Now
- 3 Cloud Migration Approaches and Their Pros and Cons
- Oracle on Google Cloud: Two Deployment Options
- How to Upload Files to Azure Blob Storage with AzCopy, PowerShell, and More
- Oracle on Azure: Fully Managed vs Self Managed
- Azure SQL Server: Managed Service vs Self Managed
- Google Partners with NetApp on New Bare Metal Solution in the Cloud
- AWS Database Migration Service: Copy-Paste Your Database to Amazon
- SQL Server on Google Cloud: Two Deployment Options
- GCP Migration with Cloud Volumes ONTAP
- SQL Server in AWS: Two Deployment Options
- Azure Database Migration Service: Automate Your Cloud DB Migration
- Azure Managed Service Provider: How to Save Time and Reduce Cloud Overhead
- Hybrid Cloud Storage: The Best of Both Worlds
- Hybrid Cloud Storage Solutions for AWS Compared: Storage Gateway vs Cloud Volumes ONTAP
- AWS Oracle: Two Options for Migrating Your Oracle DB to Amazon
- Migrating Physical Server to AWS: Now Free with AWS CloudEndure
- Azure Hybrid Cloud:
Azure in Your Local Data Center
- What Is a Lift and Shift Cloud Migration?
- Google Cloud Migration Tools: Copying 1GB or 500TB? Learn How
- VMC on AWS Vs. Cloud Volumes ONTAP
- AWS Cloud Migration Services: Don’t Migrate Alone
- 5 Steps to the Cloud: AWS Migration Checklist
- Setting up Storage Gateway with Amazon EC2
- VMware Cloud on AWS: How Fujitsu Saves Millions Using Cloud Volumes ONTAP
- SQL Server End of Life Challenges and How Cloud Volumes ONTAP Can Help
- The Cloud Tiering Service Architecture: How We Get Cold Data from Your Data Center to the Cloud
- Cloud Data Integration 101: Benefits, Challenges, and Tools
- Google Cloud Migration: Why and How to Make the Move
- What’s the Easiest Way to Start Using the Cloud? Three Cloud Onboarding Approaches
- AWS vs Azure vs Google Cloud: Choosing the Best Cloud Provider for You
- Cloud Migration Tools: Transferring Your Data with Ease
- Azure Migration Strategy: Four Steps to the Cloud
- 11-Step Azure Migration Checklist
- AWS Migration Strategy: The 6 Rs in Depth
- Officeworks Adopts a Cloud-First Strategy with Cloud Volumes ONTAP
- Azure Migration: The Keys to a Successful Enterprise Migration to Azure
- Cloud Volumes ONTAP: Cloud Migration Case Studies
July 23, 2021
Topics: Cloud Volumes ONTAP AzureData MigrationElementary5 minute read
What is the Azure Migration Program?
The Azure Migration Program (AMP) allows customers and partners to work directly with Microsoft when planning and implementing Azure migration projects. The program leverages proven Microsoft cloud adoption tools, methodologies, best practices and resources to simplify, customize, and accelerate Azure cloud migrations.
The Azure Migration Program includes:
- Step-by-step training—starting with defining business objectives all the way to fine tuning cloud workloads for optimal performance.
- Comprehensive technical resources and skill building—offered through courses that help teach you how to leverage the cloud optimally and drive long term success.
- Free Azure migration tools—designed to help you before, during, and after the migration process. For example, Azure Migrate can help you to quickly and securely move workloads.
- Cost-saving offers—such as Azure credits and Azure Hybrid Benefit, as well as free extended security updates.
In this article, you will learn:
- Azure Migration Program Overview
- 4 Key Elements of the Azure Migration Program
- Azure Migration Program Q&A
- Azure Migration with Cloud Volumes ONTAP
Azure Migration Program Overview
The Azure Migration Program is designed to simplify the migration process. The program offers extended support for application modernization scenarios, including web applications using Java, .NET, and Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP/Perl/Python (LAMP).
When modernizing applications, the program lets you choose from a variety of options. For example, you can choose between Azure App Service and Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS) for compute. You can also choose a database service from options like MySQL, PostgreSQL, and Azure SQL Database (managed SQL Server). The program also caters to use cases like migrating data center infrastructure, virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI), and database migration.
The program offers Azure Migrate, which serves as a centralized hub that controls the entire migration process. The hub comes with an application containerization tool that supports Java and ASP.NET web applications. This tool is the recommended way to migrate applications to containers on AKS.
The Azure Migrate hub also offers the use of Azure PowerShell, which lets you use agentless Server Migration tools when moving VMware virtual machines to Azure. You can use PowerShell to configure and manage the replication of servers to Azure. You can use the PowerShell cmdlets command to automate the migration of servers to Azure VMs.
Another advantage of the hub is that it provides unified assessment and discovery capabilities for Linux, SQL, and Windows servers. You can use it to assess servers and their databases prior to migration.
4 Key Elements of the Azure Migration Program
1. Microsoft Cloud Adoption Framework for Azure
The Cloud Adoption Framework provides guidelines that are designed to help create and implement business and technology strategies necessary in the cloud. The framework provides best practices, tools, and documentation that can help IT professionals, cloud architects, and relevant decision makers achieve successful migrations.
If you are planning your migration to Azure, read our guides:
2. Microsoft FastTrack for Azure
FastTrack for Azure offers a technical enablement program designed to help achieve quick and effective design and deployment of cloud solutions. The program offers practices and architectural guidance recommended by Azure engineers. The guidelines cover:
- Discovery—how to define business vision and goals, as well as assess architectural needs.
- Solution enablement—including design principles, proven practices, and tools recommended for business applications.
- Deployment—the FastTrack team helps ensure collaboration between in-house resources and external partners in order to successfully deploy Azure solutions to production.
3. Migration Partners
Azure works with many expert migration partners. Microsoft evaluates partners to ensure they meet the highest standards and can help assist customers with their migration process. Certified partners can be found in the Azure Migration Partners Center.
Partners offer services and tools that can assist with specific aspects like security, Kubernetes on Azure, SAP on Azure, data warehouse or databases on Azure, or provide an end-to-end solution that covers all of your migration needs.
4. Azure Migrate
Azure Migrate is a centralized hub that helps assess and migrate to Azure infrastructure, on-premises servers, data, and applications. Key features of Azure Migrate include:
- Unified migration platform—a single portal through which you can start, run, and monitor the Azure migration process.
- Assessment and migration tools—letting you automatically assess workloads before migration and automate migration processes.
- Variety of supported workloads—the Azure Migrate hub lets you assess and migrate Linux and Windows machines, SQL Server databases, open-source databases, virtual desktops, web applications, and raw data.
Related content: read our guide to Azure migration tools
Azure Migration Program Q&A
What are the Benefits of the Azure Migration Program?
Azure Migration Program accelerates your migration to the cloud by providing the following benefits:
- Providing best practices, resources, and guidance
- Helping you build technical skills
- Offering Azure engineering support
- Connecting you with expert migration partners
- Providing dedicated migration tool
- Offering ways to reduce migration costs
How Can You Join the Azure Migration Program?
- Contact Azure—tell Azure about your migration project via this form.
- Review resources—after receiving your form, Microsoft gathers a variety of resources and provides suggestions that can guide you on how to proceed.
- Migrate—Microsoft can help you evaluate and migrate your environment. Azure also provides resources to optimize costs and protect your environment against risk.
How Much Does the Azure Migration Program Cost?
Azure customers can take advantage of the Azure Migration Program at no additional cost, beyond the cost of Azure resources used during and after the migration.
Azure Migration with Cloud Volumes ONTAP
NetApp Cloud Volumes ONTAP, the leading enterprise-grade storage management solution, delivers secure, proven storage management services on AWS, Azure and Google Cloud. Cloud Volumes ONTAP capacity can scale into the petabytes, and it supports various use cases such as file services, databases, DevOps or any other enterprise workload, with a strong set of features including high availability, data protection, storage efficiencies, Kubernetes integration, and more.
In particular, Cloud Volumes ONTAP assists with lift and shift cloud migration. NetApp’s data replication tools SnapMirror® and Cloud Sync service will get your data to the cloud.
Learn more about how Cloud Volumes ONTAP helps to address the challenges of cloud migration in these Cloud Migration Case Studies.