More about Cloud Migration
- Azure StorSimple EOL: Using Cloud Volumes ONTAP for Hybrid Cloud Management
- Refactoring Applications to Kubernetes in Cloud Migrations
- The War Over the Cloud Has Ended (and the Winner Might Surprise You)
- Modern Data Estate: What IT Leaders Need To Know
- Strategies for AWS Migration: The New 7th R Explained
- Cloud Computing Deployment Models and Architectures
- Cloud Adoption Strategy: What’s the Best Approach for Your Organization?
- What is Cloud Migration? Strategy, Process and Tools
- Hybrid Cloud Strategy: A Winning Model for Enterprises
- Google Cloud Architecture and Building Your Own Solution Architecture
- SnapMirror in the Cloud: New Use Cases for NetApp’s Data Replication Technology
- 8 Digital Transformation Technologies and Their Business Impact
- What Is Digital Transformation in Banking?
- Digital Transformation in Healthcare: 4 Key Trends
- Digital Transformation: Examples from 5 Industries
- The Future of Cloud Computing: 5 Trends You Must Know About
- 5 Types of Digital Transformation and the Technologies that Power Them
- Digital Transformation Strategy: 6 Tips for Success
- Kubernetes Data Mobility with Cloud Volumes ONTAP
- Application Migration to Azure: 4 Approaches and One Migration Tool
- Cloud First Strategy: Challenges, Considerations, and Best Practices
- Application Migration to AWS: Free Tools to Ease Your Migration
- Why Cloud Adoption Fails and 6 Tips for Success
- Cloud Application Migration: A Practical Guide
- AWS Snowball vs Snowmobile: Data -Migration Options Compared
- AWS Snowball Edge: Data Shipping and Compute at the Edge
- AWS Snowmobile: Migrate Data to the Cloud With the World’s Biggest Hard Disk
- AWS Snowball Family: Options, Process, and Best Practices
- AWS Cloud Adoption Framework (CAF): 6 Migration Perspectives
- Top 3 Cloud Adoption Frameworks: Your Path To The Cloud
- AWS Snowball Pricing Simplified
- Azure Cloud Adoption Framework: The 9 Methodologies Explained
- Cloud Roadmap: Mapping Out Your Path To The Cloud
- Hybrid Deployment on Google Cloud: Meet Google Anthos
- 3 Ways to Create an Azure Migrate Project
- Azure Migration Step by Step: Discover, Migrate, Optimize, and Monitor
- Migrate from VMware to Azure: The Basics and a Quick Tutorial
- Migrate SQL Server to Azure: Options, Tools, and a Quick Tutorial
- Migrate Databases to Azure: 3 Quick Tutorials
- 4 Ways to Migrate SQL to Azure
- Azure Migration Program: 4 Key Elements
- Azure Migrate: Key Components and a 4-Step Migration Plan
- Cloud Journey: 6 Stages of Cloud Adoption
- 5 Azure Data Migration Tools You Should Be Using
- Azure Migration Tools: One-Click Migration for VMs and Data
- Typical Mistakes and Misconceptions Business Leaders Have About Hybrid and Multicloud
- Google Cloud PostgreSQL: Managed or Self-Managed?
- AWS Storage Gateway: Connecting Your On-Premise Storage to the Amazon Cloud
- Azure PostgreSQL: Managed or Self-Managed?
- Cloud Scalability: How Cloud Volumes ONTAP Stores Petabytes of Data
- AWS Migration: Understanding the Process and Solving 5 Key Challenges
- Google Cloud Pricing vs AWS: A Fair Comparison?
- VMware Cloud Services: A New Option for Hybrid Cloud Management
- AWS PostgreSQL: Managed or Self-Managed?
- Google Cloud MySQL: MySQL as a Service vs. Self Managed in the Cloud
- Azure MySQL: MySQL as a Service vs. Self-Managed in the Cloud
- AWS MySQL: MySQL as a Service vs. Self Managed in the Cloud
- Cloud Adoption for Financial Companies
- VMware on AWS: Architecture and Service Options
- VMware on Google Cloud: A Deployment Roadmap
- VMware on Azure: One-Step Migration to the Cloud
- Better in the Cloud: Workloads Gartner Says You Should Move to the Cloud Now
- 3 Cloud Migration Approaches and Their Pros and Cons
- Oracle on Google Cloud: Two Deployment Options
- How to Upload Files to Azure Blob Storage with AzCopy, PowerShell, and More
- Oracle on Azure: Fully Managed vs Self Managed
- Azure SQL Server: Managed Service vs Self Managed
- Google Partners with NetApp on New Bare Metal Solution in the Cloud
- AWS Database Migration Service: Copy-Paste Your Database to Amazon
- SQL Server on Google Cloud: Two Deployment Options
- GCP Migration with Cloud Volumes ONTAP
- SQL Server in AWS: Two Deployment Options
- Azure Database Migration Service: Automate Your Cloud DB Migration
- Azure Managed Service Provider: How to Save Time and Reduce Cloud Overhead
- Hybrid Cloud Storage: The Best of Both Worlds
- Hybrid Cloud Storage Solutions for AWS Compared: Storage Gateway vs Cloud Volumes ONTAP
- AWS Oracle: Two Options for Migrating Your Oracle DB to Amazon
- Migrating Physical Server to AWS: Now Free with AWS CloudEndure
- Azure Hybrid Cloud:
Azure in Your Local Data Center
- What Is a Lift and Shift Cloud Migration?
- Google Cloud Migration Tools: Copying 1GB or 500TB? Learn How
- VMC on AWS Vs. Cloud Volumes ONTAP
- AWS Cloud Migration Services: Don’t Migrate Alone
- 5 Steps to the Cloud: AWS Migration Checklist
- Setting up Storage Gateway with Amazon EC2
- VMware Cloud on AWS: How Fujitsu Saves Millions Using Cloud Volumes ONTAP
- SQL Server End of Life Challenges and How Cloud Volumes ONTAP Can Help
- The Cloud Tiering Service Architecture: How We Get Cold Data from Your Data Center to the Cloud
- Cloud Data Integration 101: Benefits, Challenges, and Tools
- Google Cloud Migration: Why and How to Make the Move
- What’s the Easiest Way to Start Using the Cloud? Three Cloud Onboarding Approaches
- AWS vs Azure vs Google Cloud: Choosing the Best Cloud Provider for You
- Cloud Migration Tools: Transferring Your Data with Ease
- Azure Migration Strategy: Four Steps to the Cloud
- 11-Step Azure Migration Checklist
- AWS Migration Strategy: The 6 Rs in Depth
- Officeworks Adopts a Cloud-First Strategy with Cloud Volumes ONTAP
- Azure Migration: The Keys to a Successful Enterprise Migration to Azure
- Cloud Volumes ONTAP: Cloud Migration Case Studies
- One Cloud Out of Many: Why Enterprises Are Turning to Multicloud and Hybrid Cloud Architectures
November 28, 2021
Topics: Cloud Volumes ONTAP Data MigrationElementary6 minute read
What is a Cloud Strategy Roadmap?
A cloud strategy roadmap is a visual communication tool that describes how your organization will migrate to the cloud. It includes key tasks, deliverables, and deadlines. IT teams use roadmaps to put their cloud migration strategy on track and hold all stakeholders accountable. According to Gartner, cloud strategy roadmaps should have at least five parts: aligning objectives, planning, preparing for execution, governance, optimization, and collaboration.
Because cloud migration projects are complex and involve multiple parts of an organization, developing a cloud strategy roadmap is not a simple task. You should follow a structured process to ensure all relevant stakeholders are on board and align your roadmap with available resources and operational considerations.
In this article:
- What is a Cloud Strategy Roadmap?
- What Questions Should You Ask When Developing a Cloud Roadmap?
- Cloud Roadmap Strategy: Five Must-Have Stages
- Cloud Migration with Cloud Volumes ONTAP
What Questions Should You Ask When Developing a Cloud Roadmap?
Addressing the “why”
The best way to start building your cloud roadmap is to start with the why. Why are you migrating? What are the benefits? Why should other members of your organization join your cloud vision?
Addressing the “how”
When you approach a cloud roadmap, you’ll need concrete answers to the technical challenges of migration. Ask yourself how you’ll migrate workloads to the cloud, how they will operate in a hybrid environment, and which cloud migration method is the most appropriate—lift-and-shift, refactoring, or rebuilding.
Addressing cultural factors
Another category of questions involves the people in your organization. Don't underestimate the importance of culture. Technology is often the easier part of cloud transformation; changing workflows people are accustomed to is more challenging.
How will you encourage people in your organization to cooperate with the migration, and what will you do to ensure it impacts them positively? Empathy, professional development, and support are as important as choosing between cloud providers or cloud-native technologies.
Addressing the “what”
An essential part of your roadmap is what you will migrate. Ask yourself which workloads will move to the cloud, which are easier to migrate, and which are more challenging. Define datasets that will move to the cloud and critical aspects like data sensitivity and availability requirements.
Ask yourself what will make your cloud migration a success. Are you aiming to shut down the on-premises data center or move all new development to the cloud? Define the organization's ultimate goal with specific metrics to measure migration success.
Cloud Roadmap Strategy: Five Must-Have Stages
According to research by Gartner, the ideal cloud migration roadmap consists of five steps.
Organizations should create a cloud migration value proposition for business and IT early in the cloud migration roadmap. Start by conducting a survey to understand the use cases for cloud adoption, aligning cloud strategy with IT goals, and defining action steps to achieve your goals.
Another important aspect is to define migration principles based on application and team readiness, business priorities, and vendor capabilities. Use data available in the organization to define the metrics and key performance indicators (KPIs) for a successful migration.
Related content: Read our guide to cloud migration approaches
Develop a Plan of Action
Choose the right cloud provider and negotiate a successful contract. At this stage, you should build cloud capabilities across the organization, assess alternative service providers, and prepare to mitigate cloud-related risks. Identify the necessary investments in your network, security, identity architecture, and other tools.
At this stage, determine whether to migrate your entire environment to the cloud, or one workload at a time. Identify if your organization requires a multi-cloud environment or a single cloud provider will suffice. Think about the long term—will the capabilities of your cloud provider fit your needs in the future, and how will costs grow over time given your future growth?
Related content: Read our guide to cloud transition planning
Prepare for Execution
At this stage, you deploy and optimize workloads in the cloud. Deployment involves identifying workloads for migration, defining your cloud management workflow, adopting implementation best practices, and analyzing how workloads perform in the cloud.
Managing cloud migration as a structured, well-defined process can help an organization significantly improve the efficiency and effectiveness of cloud workload management.
Related content: Read our detailed cloud migration checklists:
Establish Governance While Mitigating Risk
The goal of a successful cloud migration includes setting up robust processes to minimize disruption to your workflow. To be successful, you must discover, analyze and monitor sensitive data throughout your cloud deployment. Set up a security control plane using a third-party tool with suitable functionality.
Take a lifecycle approach to governance—it is important to realize that you must continuously maintain governance to be effective. Governance and compliance feedback should be an integral part of your workflow, leveraging automation.
Optimize and Scale
At this stage, workloads are already running successfully in the cloud. Consider investments that can improve existing use of the cloud and address operational challenges. Define customer-centric goals, communicating to teams how improved cloud use can benefit the organization. Align all stakeholders around the need to continuously develop and optimize your cloud presence.
Related content: Read our guide to cloud migration tools
Cloud migration processes can only succeed by achieving cooperation between cross-departmental teams. The following roles should be included in your roadmap and in relevant planning stages:
- CIO—provides strategic and planning guidance and can help define the goals of cloud migration. The CIO can help communicate progress to other stakeholders.
- Development leaders and teams—provide technical advice and can help establish a vision. They can work with other IT leaders to define specific cloud migration plans using up-to-date progress and planning information.
- Operations leaders and teams—provide insight into the infrastructure and operations requirements of cloud migration and determine activities required to implement the strategy. They will typically manage the operational mechanisms needed to enable the migration.
- Cloud experts—any cloud migration program will benefit from a team of cloud experts, either in-house or outsourced, who can provide architectural and process plans for the project. They can help evaluate and select the best tools and processes for migrating and refactoring systems and help build the required skills among other teams.
Cloud Migration with Cloud Volumes ONTAP
NetApp Cloud Volumes ONTAP, the leading enterprise-grade storage management solution, delivers secure, proven storage management services on AWS, Azure and Google Cloud. Cloud Volumes ONTAP capacity can scale into the petabytes, and it supports various use cases such as file services, databases, DevOps or any other enterprise workload, with a strong set of features including high availability, data protection, storage efficiencies, Kubernetes integration, and more.
Download our free eBook: The NetApp Guide to Migrating Enterprise Workloads to the Cloud