More about Cloud Migration
- Refactoring Applications to Kubernetes in Cloud Migrations
- The War Over the Cloud Has Ended (and the Winner Might Surprise You)
- Modern Data Estate: What IT Leaders Need To Know
- Strategies for AWS Migration: The New 7th R Explained
- Cloud Computing Deployment Models and Architectures
- Cloud Adoption Strategy: What’s the Best Approach for Your Organization?
- What is Cloud Migration? Strategy, Process and Tools
- Hybrid Cloud Strategy: A Winning Model for Enterprises
- Google Cloud Architecture and Building Your Own Solution Architecture
- SnapMirror in the Cloud: New Use Cases for NetApp’s Data Replication Technology
- 8 Digital Transformation Technologies and Their Business Impact
- What Is Digital Transformation in Banking?
- Digital Transformation in Healthcare: 4 Key Trends
- Digital Transformation: Examples from 5 Industries
- The Future of Cloud Computing: 5 Trends You Must Know About
- 5 Types of Digital Transformation and the Technologies that Power Them
- Digital Transformation Strategy: 6 Tips for Success
- Kubernetes Data Mobility with Cloud Volumes ONTAP
- Application Migration to Azure: 4 Approaches and One Migration Tool
- Cloud First Strategy: Challenges, Considerations, and Best Practices
- Application Migration to AWS: Free Tools to Ease Your Migration
- Why Cloud Adoption Fails and 6 Tips for Success
- Cloud Application Migration: A Practical Guide
- AWS Snowball vs Snowmobile: Data -Migration Options Compared
- AWS Snowball Edge: Data Shipping and Compute at the Edge
- AWS Snowmobile: Migrate Data to the Cloud With the World’s Biggest Hard Disk
- AWS Snowball Family: Options, Process, and Best Practices
- AWS Cloud Adoption Framework (CAF): 6 Migration Perspectives
- Top 3 Cloud Adoption Frameworks: Your Path To The Cloud
- AWS Snowball Pricing Simplified
- Azure Cloud Adoption Framework: The 9 Methodologies Explained
- Cloud Roadmap: Mapping Out Your Path To The Cloud
- Hybrid Deployment on Google Cloud: Meet Google Anthos
- 3 Ways to Create an Azure Migrate Project
- Azure Migration Step by Step: Discover, Migrate, Optimize, and Monitor
- Migrate from VMware to Azure: The Basics and a Quick Tutorial
- Migrate SQL Server to Azure: Options, Tools, and a Quick Tutorial
- Migrate Databases to Azure: 3 Quick Tutorials
- 4 Ways to Migrate SQL to Azure
- Azure Migration Program: 4 Key Elements
- Azure Migrate: Key Components and a 4-Step Migration Plan
- Cloud Journey: 6 Stages of Cloud Adoption
- 5 Azure Data Migration Tools You Should Be Using
- Azure Migration Tools: One-Click Migration for VMs and Data
- Typical Mistakes and Misconceptions Business Leaders Have About Hybrid and Multicloud
- Google Cloud PostgreSQL: Managed or Self-Managed?
- AWS Storage Gateway: Connecting Your On-Premise Storage to the Amazon Cloud
- Azure PostgreSQL: Managed or Self-Managed?
- Cloud Scalability: How Cloud Volumes ONTAP Stores Petabytes of Data
- AWS Migration: Understanding the Process and Solving 5 Key Challenges
- Google Cloud Pricing vs AWS: A Fair Comparison?
- VMware Cloud Services: A New Option for Hybrid Cloud Management
- AWS PostgreSQL: Managed or Self-Managed?
- Google Cloud MySQL: MySQL as a Service vs. Self Managed in the Cloud
- Azure MySQL: MySQL as a Service vs. Self-Managed in the Cloud
- AWS MySQL: MySQL as a Service vs. Self Managed in the Cloud
- Cloud Adoption for Financial Companies
- VMware on AWS: Architecture and Service Options
- VMware on Google Cloud: A Deployment Roadmap
- VMware on Azure: One-Step Migration to the Cloud
- Better in the Cloud: Workloads Gartner Says You Should Move to the Cloud Now
- 3 Cloud Migration Approaches and Their Pros and Cons
- Oracle on Google Cloud: Two Deployment Options
- How to Upload Files to Azure Blob Storage with AzCopy, PowerShell, and More
- Oracle on Azure: Fully Managed vs Self Managed
- Azure SQL Server: Managed Service vs Self Managed
- Google Partners with NetApp on New Bare Metal Solution in the Cloud
- AWS Database Migration Service: Copy-Paste Your Database to Amazon
- SQL Server on Google Cloud: Two Deployment Options
- GCP Migration with Cloud Volumes ONTAP
- SQL Server in AWS: Two Deployment Options
- Azure Database Migration Service: Automate Your Cloud DB Migration
- Azure Managed Service Provider: How to Save Time and Reduce Cloud Overhead
- Hybrid Cloud Storage: The Best of Both Worlds
- Hybrid Cloud Storage Solutions for AWS Compared: Storage Gateway vs Cloud Volumes ONTAP
- AWS Oracle: Two Options for Migrating Your Oracle DB to Amazon
- Migrating Physical Server to AWS: Now Free with AWS CloudEndure
- Azure Hybrid Cloud:
Azure in Your Local Data Center
- What Is a Lift and Shift Cloud Migration?
- Azure StorSimple EOL: Using Cloud Volumes ONTAP for Hybrid Cloud Management
- Google Cloud Migration Tools: Copying 1GB or 500TB? Learn How
- VMC on AWS Vs. Cloud Volumes ONTAP
- AWS Cloud Migration Services: Don’t Migrate Alone
- 5 Steps to the Cloud: AWS Migration Checklist
- Setting up Storage Gateway with Amazon EC2
- VMware Cloud on AWS: How Fujitsu Saves Millions Using Cloud Volumes ONTAP
- SQL Server End of Life Challenges and How Cloud Volumes ONTAP Can Help
- The Cloud Tiering Service Architecture: How We Get Cold Data from Your Data Center to the Cloud
- Cloud Data Integration 101: Benefits, Challenges, and Tools
- Google Cloud Migration: Why and How to Make the Move
- What’s the Easiest Way to Start Using the Cloud? Three Cloud Onboarding Approaches
- AWS vs Azure vs Google Cloud: Choosing the Best Cloud Provider for You
- Cloud Migration Tools: Transferring Your Data with Ease
- Azure Migration Strategy: Four Steps to the Cloud
- 11-Step Azure Migration Checklist
- AWS Migration Strategy: The 6 Rs in Depth
- Officeworks Adopts a Cloud-First Strategy with Cloud Volumes ONTAP
- Azure Migration: The Keys to a Successful Enterprise Migration to Azure
- Cloud Volumes ONTAP: Cloud Migration Case Studies
- One Cloud Out of Many: Why Enterprises Are Turning to Multicloud and Hybrid Cloud Architectures
October 16, 2017
Topics: Cloud Volumes ONTAPCloud Sync Data MigrationAWSDatabaseAdvanced3 minute read
Have you ever dreamed of quickly moving your dev/test SAP HANA system into the cloud as part of your AWS migration? Fully automated with a one-click workflow? Without the hassle of installing or investing in additional tools and hardware, creating a VPN, or shipping “snowballs”?
SAP customers running agile development projects are often confronted with requests from their project teams to provision additional test or sandbox systems.
In the past, those systems needed to be provisioned using resources in the customer’s own data center. Today, the possibilities of using on-demand cloud resources are an intriguing alternative:
- no additional hardware to install and maintain
- pay-as-you-go cost models that charge costs directly to the requesting cost centers
- and almost infinite resources.
There are many considerations to take into account before migrating any on-premises storage system to the cloud. Customers need to address the questions of how to move their SAP systems to the cloud, how to operate and manage those systems, and how to guarantee the safety of their data while their systems run in the cloud.
In this blog post, I’ll show how NetApp® Data Fabric technology can help fully automate the move of SAP HANA databases from on-premises to Amazon Web Services (AWS). For this proof-of-concept use case, we used the NetApp Cloud Sync service to transfer the data, NetApp Cloud Volumes ONTAP® (formerly ONTAP Cloud) software as enterprise-grade storage management for the cloud, and SAP Landscape Management (LaMa) for the SAP-specific one-click provisioning workflow.
The Magic of Cloud Sync
Cloud Sync, part of the NetApp Data Fabric cloud services, offers a way to copy data from a local NFS server to Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3). The copy process is fast, reliable, and secure, and can be managed by a simple cloud-like interface or REST API calls.
Cloud Volumes ONTAP: Enterprise-Grade Storage as a Service
NetApp Cloud Volumes ONTAP is an enterprise-grade storage system that runs as a cloud appliance with most of the hyperscalers, such as AWS and Microsoft Azure. It offers super-fast NetApp Snapshot™ copies, data compression, data encryption, and all the NetApp tools to provide automated application-consistent backups for SAP—a huge advantage that reduces overall project risks. Countless companies have leveraged these features to make their journey to the cloud a success.
Along with SAP HANA backup in a few seconds, these features are all available as a service when you use Cloud Volumes ONTAP together with NetApp SnapCenter® software for your projects.
SAP Landscape Management
Copying SAP HANA databases or SAP systems, requires that many tasks be combined in the right order, for example:
- shutting down the SAP system
- cloning or moving the data
- and configuring the network and firewalls.
These activities all require interaction with SAP systems and with infrastructure components on both sides—on-premises and with cloud resources. This is the domain of SAP Landscape Management, which enables you to extend the built-in workflows with custom-tailored functions.
One-Click Custom Provisioning Workflow
In this proof of concept, we used SAP Landscape Management with a custom provisioning workflow to automate the required steps, from system shutdown on the source to system start-up in the cloud.
We did all of this with a one-click configurable and extendable workflow, which can be used as a base for upcoming pilot projects. The following short video demonstrates the whole workflow and explains the steps and activities.
NetApp Data Fabric services can help you move your development and test systems to the cloud. These services offer all the enterprise operational efficiencies you need to speed up your projects and reduce overall risk.
Want to get started? Try out Cloud Volumes ONTAP today with a 30-day free trial.