More about Cloud Migration
- Petabyte-Scale Storage Success Stories With Cloud Volumes ONTAP
- Azure StorSimple EOL: Using Cloud Volumes ONTAP for Hybrid Cloud Management
- Refactoring Applications to Kubernetes in Cloud Migrations
- The War Over the Cloud Has Ended (and the Winner Might Surprise You)
- Modern Data Estate: What IT Leaders Need To Know
- Strategies for AWS Migration: The New 7th R Explained
- Cloud Computing Deployment Models and Architectures
- Cloud Adoption Strategy: What’s the Best Approach for Your Organization?
- What is Cloud Migration? Strategy, Process and Tools
- Hybrid Cloud Strategy: A Winning Model for Enterprises
- Google Cloud Architecture and Building Your Own Solution Architecture
- SnapMirror in the Cloud: New Use Cases for NetApp’s Data Replication Technology
- 8 Digital Transformation Technologies and Their Business Impact
- What Is Digital Transformation in Banking?
- Digital Transformation in Healthcare: 4 Key Trends
- Digital Transformation: Examples from 5 Industries
- The Future of Cloud Computing: 5 Trends You Must Know About
- 5 Types of Digital Transformation and the Technologies that Power Them
- Digital Transformation Strategy: 6 Tips for Success
- Kubernetes Data Mobility with Cloud Volumes ONTAP
- Application Migration to Azure: 4 Approaches and One Migration Tool
- Cloud First Strategy: Challenges, Considerations, and Best Practices
- Application Migration to AWS: Free Tools to Ease Your Migration
- Why Cloud Adoption Fails and 6 Tips for Success
- Cloud Application Migration: A Practical Guide
- AWS Snowball vs Snowmobile: Data -Migration Options Compared
- AWS Snowball Edge: Data Shipping and Compute at the Edge
- AWS Snowmobile: Migrate Data to the Cloud With the World’s Biggest Hard Disk
- AWS Snowball Family: Options, Process, and Best Practices
- AWS Cloud Adoption Framework (CAF): 6 Migration Perspectives
- Top 3 Cloud Adoption Frameworks: Your Path To The Cloud
- AWS Snowball Pricing Simplified
- Azure Cloud Adoption Framework: The 9 Methodologies Explained
- Cloud Roadmap: Mapping Out Your Path To The Cloud
- Hybrid Deployment on Google Cloud: Meet Google Anthos
- 3 Ways to Create an Azure Migrate Project
- Azure Migration Step by Step: Discover, Migrate, Optimize, and Monitor
- Migrate from VMware to Azure: The Basics and a Quick Tutorial
- Migrate SQL Server to Azure: Options, Tools, and a Quick Tutorial
- Migrate Databases to Azure: 3 Quick Tutorials
- 4 Ways to Migrate SQL to Azure
- Azure Migration Program: 4 Key Elements
- Azure Migrate: Key Components and a 4-Step Migration Plan
- Cloud Journey: 6 Stages of Cloud Adoption
- 5 Azure Data Migration Tools You Should Be Using
- Azure Migration Tools: One-Click Migration for VMs and Data
- Typical Mistakes and Misconceptions Business Leaders Have About Hybrid and Multicloud
- Google Cloud PostgreSQL: Managed or Self-Managed?
- AWS Storage Gateway: Connecting Your On-Premise Storage to the Amazon Cloud
- Azure PostgreSQL: Managed or Self-Managed?
- Cloud Scalability: How Cloud Volumes ONTAP Stores Petabytes of Data
- AWS Migration: Understanding the Process and Solving 5 Key Challenges
- Google Cloud Pricing vs AWS: A Fair Comparison?
- VMware Cloud Services: A New Option for Hybrid Cloud Management
- AWS PostgreSQL: Managed or Self-Managed?
- Google Cloud MySQL: MySQL as a Service vs. Self Managed in the Cloud
- Azure MySQL: MySQL as a Service vs. Self-Managed in the Cloud
- AWS MySQL: MySQL as a Service vs. Self Managed in the Cloud
- Cloud Adoption for Financial Companies
- VMware on AWS: Architecture and Service Options
- VMware on Google Cloud: A Deployment Roadmap
- VMware on Azure: One-Step Migration to the Cloud
- Better in the Cloud: Workloads Gartner Says You Should Move to the Cloud Now
- 3 Cloud Migration Approaches and Their Pros and Cons
- Oracle on Google Cloud: Two Deployment Options
- How to Upload Files to Azure Blob Storage with AzCopy, PowerShell, and More
- Oracle on Azure: Fully Managed vs Self Managed
- Azure SQL Server: Managed Service vs Self Managed
- Google Partners with NetApp on New Bare Metal Solution in the Cloud
- AWS Database Migration Service: Copy-Paste Your Database to Amazon
- SQL Server on Google Cloud: Two Deployment Options
- GCP Migration with Cloud Volumes ONTAP
- SQL Server in AWS: Two Deployment Options
- Azure Database Migration Service: Automate Your Cloud DB Migration
- Azure Managed Service Provider: How to Save Time and Reduce Cloud Overhead
- Hybrid Cloud Storage: The Best of Both Worlds
- Hybrid Cloud Storage Solutions for AWS Compared: Storage Gateway vs Cloud Volumes ONTAP
- AWS Oracle: Two Options for Migrating Your Oracle DB to Amazon
- Migrating Physical Server to AWS: Now Free with AWS CloudEndure
- Azure Hybrid Cloud:
Azure in Your Local Data Center
- What Is a Lift and Shift Cloud Migration?
- Google Cloud Migration Tools: Copying 1GB or 500TB? Learn How
- VMC on AWS Vs. Cloud Volumes ONTAP
- AWS Cloud Migration Services: Don’t Migrate Alone
- 5 Steps to the Cloud: AWS Migration Checklist
- Setting up Storage Gateway with Amazon EC2
- VMware Cloud on AWS: How Fujitsu Saves Millions Using Cloud Volumes ONTAP
- SQL Server End of Life Challenges and How Cloud Volumes ONTAP Can Help
- The Cloud Tiering Service Architecture: How We Get Cold Data from Your Data Center to the Cloud
- Cloud Data Integration 101: Benefits, Challenges, and Tools
- Google Cloud Migration: Why and How to Make the Move
- What’s the Easiest Way to Start Using the Cloud? Three Cloud Onboarding Approaches
- AWS vs Azure vs Google Cloud: Choosing the Best Cloud Provider for You
- Cloud Migration Tools: Transferring Your Data with Ease
- Azure Migration Strategy: Four Steps to the Cloud
- 11-Step Azure Migration Checklist
- AWS Migration Strategy: The 6 Rs in Depth
- Officeworks Adopts a Cloud-First Strategy with Cloud Volumes ONTAP
- Azure Migration: The Keys to a Successful Enterprise Migration to Azure
- Cloud Volumes ONTAP: Cloud Migration Case Studies
Officeworks, a major Australian-based office supplies retailer, first started using the cloud a few years ago. At first, the enterprise—which currently employs over 7000 team members and manages more than 160 retail stores—moved some of its workloads to AWS, while maintaining on-premises data centers that operated its legacy applications. The company has since expanded significantly, and its engineers have begun to take steps towards refreshing Officeworks’ outdated systems and reforming the company’s cloud strategy. This reform started taking shape in 2016, when Officeworks began to subscribe to NetApp Cloud Volumes ONTAP.
Before we dig deeper into the particulars, let’s take a closer look at what Cloud Volumes ONTAP is all about.
What is Cloud Volumes ONTAP?
It’s clear why Officeworks chose Cloud Volumes ONTAP. This multi-cloud storage management solution offers a wide array of storage capabilities delivered seamlessly across on-premises data centers and public cloud resources on AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud. Cloud Volumes ONTAP offers its customers a comprehensive portfolio of solutions, including high availability, data protection, storage efficiency, and multiprotocol file share services.
This is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to what Cloud Volumes ONTAP can do to reform the way businesses engage with the cloud. Check out the article below to learn how Cloud Volumes ONTAP made it possible for Officeworks to make their cloud-first strategy a reality.
Read the full Officeworks story here.
What Did Officeworks Gain by Using Cloud Volumes ONTAP?
With Cloud Volumes ONTAP, Officeworks was able to break away from the constraints of its legacy environment and efficiently utilize AWS resources. Let’s take a look at some concrete examples.
Data tiering: Cloud Volumes ONTAP’s data tiering feature automatically transfers cold, i.e. infrequently used data, to lower-cost Amazon S3 storage. Conversely, as it becomes hot, that data is automatically moved back to the Amazon EBS performance tier when needed. As a result, Officeworks enjoys lower total cost of operation and more efficient use of its storage resources—with high-performance disks for frequently used data, and a lower-cost capacity tier for the large amounts of cold data they need to store.
Moving DR and dev/test resources to the cloud: With Cloud Volumes ONTAP, Officeworks is no longer subject to the limitations of physical data centers. Rather than purchase and maintain SATA arrays for its DR data, Officeworks has moved its DR data and dev/test functions to Cloud Volumes ONTAP as well. Since the DR and dev/test data are mostly cold, Officeworks is tiering them to lower-cost Amazon S3 object storage. Should the DR data be needed in a recovery operation, it can seamlessly and automatically be brought back up to the performance tier. And the dev/test data can be cloned and sent to wherever needed. What’s more, data can be accessible through NFS, SMB, or CIFS using Cloud Volumes ONTAP file sharing features.
Moving away from on-premises: Officeworks is gradually freeing itself from its outdated legacy environment. It is treating Cloud Volumes ONTAP as a “springboard” from which on-premises data can be easily lifted into AWS. Once data is in the cloud, NetApp’s replication capabilities allow Officeworks to easily clone data and transfer it anywhere and everywhere within their AWS environment.